- Join WXTK's Ed Lambert as he broadcasts live on Monday, November 11th from the 7th Annual Veterans Tribute Breakfast at the Flying Bridge Restaurant, 220 Scranton Avenue, Falmouth. This free breakfast is reserved and limited to veterans of the five U.S. military branches (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines & Coast Guard). Attending veterans may also bring along a spouse or personal assistant to accompany them for the complimentary breakfast. Doors open at 8:00 a.m. with breakfast buffet service beginning at 8:30 a.m. The breakfast is hosted by Sam & Judy Lorusso, Bob & Val Zammito, Bill & Linda Zammer and the Falmouth Chamber of Commerce. Sponsors include the Cape Cod Five Cents Savings Bank, Ziggy’s Auto Specialties, Shepley Wood Products and Heroes in Transition. The program will be emceed by Falmouth resident and Army veteran, Jay Zavala. The National Anthem will performed by The Falmouth Chorale Chamber Singers, led by Catherine Plummer. Opening and closing invocations will be offered by Rev. Deborah Warner, Episcopal Church of the Messiah, Woods Hole and Susan Moran, Falmouth Selectman. Special guest speaker, U.S.Congressman William (Bill) Keating will be followed by keynote speaker Air Force Brig. General Tony "Kimo" Schiavi (Ret.), former Executive Director Joint Base Cape Cod. Reservations are required, due to capacity limitations and to ensure adequate service staffing. Attending veterans must reserve seating by calling the Falmouth Chamber of Commerce at 508-548-8500 no later than 4:00 p.m. on Thursday, November 7th. Regrettably, reservations will be discontinued when the seating capacity limitation is reached.
- The Cape & Islands Veterans Outreach Center & the Town of Barnstable are proudly hosting the 3rd Annual Barnstable Veterans Town Hall on Monday, November 11th from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the the Barnstable Town Hall Building, 367 Main St. in Hyannis, in the 2nd Floor Hearing Room. A buffet luncheon will be served, courtesy of the Hyannis Elks...and it will be a chance to listen to fellow Veterans share their stories of what it was like to serve our country in the armed forces. For more information, contact Jack Bonino at (508) 778-1590, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- On November 11th at 7:00 p.m., The Cape & Islands Veterans Outreach Council is proud to sponsor the show, The American Soldier...presented by The Barnstable Comedy Club, 3171 Main St. in Barnstable Village. This solo performance is based on actual accounts and letters written by veterans and their families from the American Revolution right through the current-day Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. This 75-minute piece will examine the incredible sacrifices made by our veterans and their families...as well as help us to understand the difficulties in re-entering life back home after experiencing the horrors of combat. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased at the door or online at BarnstableComedyClub.org. For more information, call 508-362-6333.
- Join us Friday, November 8th from 6:30-9:30 p.m. at Cape Cod Beer in Hyannis for the Red Cross Red Hot Chili Fest. Help support veterans throug the "Warmer Winter" drive for homeless vets in our community, which is part of the Red Cross' service to armed forces. Tickets are $15 each, which include chili, cornbread, popcorn and a cash bar.
- On Sunday, November 10th, services at Osterville Baptist Church will take place at 8:30 and 10:30 a.m. to honor veterans. Details include color guard presentation, recognition of all veterans, testimony from Vietnam Veteran Richard Robinson, and special music. The church is located at 824 Main Street in Osterville. For more details, visit www.ostervillebaptist.org or call 508-428-2787.
- On November 8th, 11th and 12th, men and women of all branches of the U.S. Military will be accompanying Flower Angels USA volunteers to deliver nearly 400 patriotic honor bouquets to veterans from Bourne to Provincetown. Flower Angels USA's 4th Annual Veteran's Buddy Project is a special tribute of gratitude to our veterans who courageously served our country with honor. Veteran's Buddy Project also remembers the men and women who have given their lives in service to this nation and those actively on duty. Anyone interested in helping create the bouquets and/or accompanying volunteers on deliveries can call the South Yarmouth workshop at 508-280-9869.
- On Monday, November 11th, Clancy's in Dennis Port is inviting all Cape Cod Veterans, Military, and Gold Star Families for a special breakfast. Food will be served beginning at 8 a.m. and an honored ceremony will take place at 9. Guest speaker 1st Barnstable District State Representative Tim Whelan will be in attendance. If you're a veteran, there is no charge for the breakfast thanks to Bill and Linda Zammer and the Nicholas G. Xiarhos Memorial Foundation. RSVP for the event either through Facebook, or by calling 508-394-6661.
- On Monday, November 18th, a Veteran's Thanksgiving Dinner will take place for Vets and their families hosted by The Rock Family Church. At the dinner, we have a live band, and tons of bran new gift items from local donors. The dinner takes place from 6-8 p.m. and towards the end we have a fun quiz segment where prizes will be up for grabs. Last year's prizes included a fire-place mantle, tool sets, turkey fryer, outdoor grill and more. The event is taking place at the Hyannis Golf Club, located at 1800 Iyannough Road in Hyannis. RSVP at 508-790-1910.
- On Sunday, November 10th, the department of Veterans Affairs will pay tribute to the service and sacrifice of the Veterans it honors in the area. The ceremony will include remarks by Richard Wallace, Director of Massachusetts National Cemetery and Military Honors. A keynote speech will also be given by retired USCG Captain John T. Kondratowicz. The public is invited to attend the event beginning at 1 p.m. at the Massachusetts National Cemetery, located off Connery Avenue in Bourne. For more information, call 508-563-7113.
Photo: Getty Images