The Dennis Fire Department was busy Monday morning responding to a reported structure fire on Cassidy Ave in South Dennis. The call came in around 7:45 a.m.
The home was occupied at the time by Karen Prendeville and her dog. She was doing laundry at the time and was alerted to the fire by a smoke detector.
When the firefighters arrived they encountered smoke coming from the rear of the building where the fire spread to adjacent walls. The occupant and her dog were safely out of the house while the firefighters quickly extinguished the fire.
Dennis fire department has an agreement with the Yarmouth fire department that also sent a fire engine to assist.
According to the accessor’s records the home his owned by David Ames and Karen Prendeville and has an assessed value of $257,000.